<data:blog.pageName/> |<br /> <data:blog.title/>

<data:blog.pageTitle/>




Powered by WebRing.

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Dealing with the yahoos

I would like to share some thoughts on bicycling on the road versus using the bike path. Traditionally, in the past, I have advocated riding on the local bike paths. Recently, however, I have switched to riding my bike in the road. The main reason I have made this change is dealing with too many yahoos who can't be bothered to pay attention to where they are going.
Yes, I understand that there will always be people who say that bikes don't belong in the road. These are the same people who can't be bothered to stop before whipping across the bike path like it does not exist. They will always be angry with you no matter what you do. Never mind that the person riding a bicycle has the same right to the road as a person driving a car. Keep in mind that the biker also has to follw the same rules of the road as the driver. That means stopping for redlights and stop signs.
Anyway, on to the reason for this post. I have recently switched from using the bike path to riding in the road. There are many reasons for this switch. There are too many people using the bike path that do not bother to watch where they are going. They are too busy minding other people's business. Or playing the drums on their handlebars. Or chatting away on their cellphones. One of my ercent favorites was some one cruising on the bike path who so considerately took both of his hands off the handlebars to point at me and then gesture to the bike path that he was riding on like it was his business where I should be riding. For riding at night, I have two taillights and one headlight so that I can be seen by traffic.
And for those of you who so considerately yell at us who ride in the road, we have just as much right to use the road as you do. You might disagree, but that is the truth. We are in the road to stay.

Labels: , ,


1 Comments:

At 2:46 AM , Blogger C-Fiddy said...

Like your blog,
I've been thinking of bumber sticker or sign that says "FIX YOUR TURN SIGNAL!"

Be Seen. Obey Traffic Laws. Gain Respect.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home